WI-Work Instructions for a BBQ Quality Pre-shipment Inspections
Category: Blog; Updated on: 2022-09-04 14:37:48; Views: 594
Definition validation and review:
What does the customer expect from this product?
3 to 5 years of use or more
As good as or better than magma and other branded product Durable – resist minor bumps from transport without damage.
Easy to start.
Safe - won’t cut , burn or harm users.
Maintains temperature, and can get hot enough to cook fish
Cost- expects to pay same or less than comparable branded product.
Use on a boat or in marine environment, that will likely be an unstable, vibrating platform in a corrosive environment, and it must stand up to this abuse.
Design validation and review:
Overall validation of all customer expectations, including:
Is the construction and design durable enough to last for intended lifetime of the product?
Does the product work well in real world use? Easy to mount, start, cook, clean?
Does the design get hot enough?
Is the design safe? Are there any safety features that can be added?
Is there anything we missed in the definition of the product?
Does the design hold up to real world use?
Is the design well documented and tolerance?
Are there any design changes that would reduce the manufacturing cost without compromising the performance?
Are there any design changes that could make the manufacturing process more reliable and repeatable?
Manufacturing validation and review
How do the first manufacturing samples compare to the design prototypes?
Can the process be refined?
Is there any variance in the quality of the product? Appearance, performance, etc. Packaging? Will it hold up to shipping? How can we prevent damage?
Mounts and accessories
Is unit’s mounting plate sufficiently stable?
Do all the mounts fit both BBQs?
Ease of assembling to mounts? Tool clearances?
Assemble to all accessories – check for fitment
Assembly, screw heads, etc. Hole locations
Ensure all fasteners are stainless steel and flush
Heat Plate and grill stability
Latches stay in place when BBQ is carried by handle- Loose or easily bent?
Check all rivets and screws – sharp? Polished? Clean? Tight?
Logo – secure, correct, aligned, etc.
Check grill welding
Check spot welding
Measure all dimensions against production drawings with tolerances.
Does design meet customer expectations?
Is handle and controls touchable temperature is use (Less than 115 degrees F)
Precaution labels and warnings
No sharp edges and corners .All overlaps and seams within tolerances.
Is regulator easy to use and beneficial?
Are lid latches secure?
Do grills fall loose when transported using handles?
Will stainless welds and SS plate rust in a marine environment?
Are there any steel or iron components expected to rust? Or aluminum to corrode?
Flameout & re-light?
Explosion hazard? What happens if flooded with propane and lit with latches down?
Is unit easy to clean?
What happens when excessive food builds up?
Are grills and other removable components easy to Clean, assemble and disassemble
Is instruction booklet included?
Proper interior packing –No rattles
Drop test and vibrate to determine if product will come out of box meeting customer expectations Master pack
Does product seem adequately packaged for long distance transit?
Stainless Steel BBQ quality plan
This document will quantify and detail the quality standards that BBQ has for stainless steel barbeque products, specifically this document will apply to our models.
*product will not injure consumers in normal usage, Surfaces that customers may come into contact with when installing using or maintaining must be free of sharp edges or burrs, Surfaces that are intended to be handled in normal use must remain cool as not to burn the user, These standards must be met to a 0.65% AQL level in all production batches.
*product must function as intended when initially removed from the package. Regulators must be operable and properly adjusted, Igniters must be operable and spark gap properly adjusted, these standards must be met to a 0.65% AQL level in all production batches.
*product must be free of major cosmetic blemishes and assembly problems ( scratches, dents, stains ,loose parts, fit / finish ) that materially reduce the value of the product to the consumer .Major cosmetic blemishes will be immediately apparent when inspecting .Major cosmetic blemishes will be immediately apparent when inspecting the product. These standards must be met to a 2.5% AQL level in all production batches.
*product must be free of minor cosmetic blemishes and assembly problems ( minor dents, more than 5 minor scratches, minor stains, small loose parts, minor ( fit / finish issues ) that affect the customer’s perception of the quality . Minor cosmetic blemishes will be apparent with detailed inspection of the product, these standards must be met to a 6.5%AQL level in all production batches.
*product must be free of minor scratches, No more than 25% of production units may be affected by minor scratches (one or more).
*Product will be securely packed in such a way that normal handing and transportation does not damage the product, all product components (grilles, etc.) must be secured within the product using proper packaging techniques.
We will have production units inspected by mutually agreed upon 3rd party product verification firms, or designated and agreed upon our Associates, We will inspect a random sample of product based on specific inspection points and criteria as defined in this document, The sample will be pulled from ready to ship inventory as defined by general inspection level Ⅱ in MIL 105E.
All production batches must pass inspection and receive approval before fulfillment of the respective purchase order.
- Critical –AQL:0.65%
- Sharp edge or burrs on unit –Unit must not cut or scratch users in normal handing or use, Run fingers over all edges of product. Use moderate pressure, as would be applied if user was to pick up unit by corners. We will study this and try to find and industry standard test specification detailing sharp edges for future production runs.
- Functionality test-Unit must function as designed out of box. Connect unit to propane gas source, turn on regulator and start unit using push button igniter. Unit should start within the first 5 presses of the button. The flame should be mostly blue, with slightly orange tips. Turn the regulator off and the unit should extinguish within a few moments and not leak propane.
- Sharp edges or burrs on wire grill edges-Grille must not cut or scratch users in normal handing or use .Run fingers over edges of wire grill in both axis (both from right to left on the grill, and fore / aft across the ends of the wire).
- Major –AQL:2.5%
- Major cosmetic defects on logo-Black resin filling our Logo should be firmly attached to the logo and should not easily flake or peel out of the logo. We should be highly polished and not contaminated by black resin, Use proper lighting and inspect from several angles looking for defects.
- Assembly tolerance –Seams must meet properly and form unit edges without gaps or overlap. Inspect all corners and edges for misalignment of parts resulting in gaps or overlap greater than 1/8”.
- Grille security and fit-Grille must be secure in unit, and not wobble from side to side or edge to edge, Push vertically downward on each corner of grille and check for excessive movement.
- Large scratches-Units must be free of large scratches (one or more) on from the surfaces. Large scratches are distinguished from small scratches by several factory including length, width, depth, and irregularity. Large scratches will be immediately apparent during inspection and materially reduce the value of the product. Use proper lighting to inspect, Examples of large/ deep scratches will be provided on stainless sheet, clearly marked with labels.
- Large dents-Units must be free of large dents (one or more) on front surfaces. Large dents are distinguished from small scratches by several factory including depth, size of affected area (sq inches) and location (dents on folded edges are far more noticeable). Large dents will be immediately apparent during inspection and materially reduce the value of the product. Use proper lighting to inspect.
- Well defined material defects –stripes, stretch marks-Units must be free of noticeable inherent material defects on front surfaces .Well defined material defects will be immediately apparent during inspection and materially reduce the value of the product. Use proper lighting to inspect.
- Color/ polish appearance difference- Unit must be constructed of steel stock that has a uniform appearance. Color tint and polish of lid must match base. Use proper lighting to inspect.
- Logo placement-Our logo must appear level on front of unit.
- Uniformity of grill bar length / placement – Bars on grill must appear to be the same length. And placed uniformly. Remove grille and sight along horizontal bars so judge uniformity.
- Air shutter security-The rotating air shutter slide must be secure and not freely rotate. Grasp shutter and operate to extents of movement checking for excessive play.
- Assembly of major parts- All major parts must be fastened securely. All rivets must be set securely and screws fully engaged. Thermometers on 315 model must be secure.
- Lid alignment-Lid must be aligned to base and not appear shifted to one side or the other. Maximum allowable misalignment is 1/16” difference between overlap on either side. Maximum allowable overlap is 1/2”.
- Light scratches (more than 5 per unit)- Unit must be free of more than 5 light scratches .Light scratches are defined as any notable scratch or defect that is evident but would not cause consumers to immediately return the product. Minor scratches will be apparent with detailed inspection of the product. Use proper lighting and inspect form several angles. Examples of light scratches will be provided on stainless sheet, clearly marked with labels.
- .Small dent (one or more per unit )- Unit must be free of minor dents and dings, Minor dents will be apparent with detailed inspection of the product, Use proper lighting and inspect from several angles.
- Minor material defects- stripes, scratches – Units must be free of minor stripes, light linear scratches and other noticeable inherent material defects on front surfaces, Minor material defects will be apparent with detailed inspection of the product, Use proper lighting to inspect.
- Minor cosmetic defects in logo- Logos must not have foreign materials encapsulated in resin (contamination) and must appear glossy. Use proper lighting to inspect.
- Clear and legible printing –All text printed on unit and labeling must appear clean, sharp and legible, Insure to inspect label affixed to the air shutter assembly and text to regulator assemble.
- Burner assembly security-Main burner tube must be secure at both ends. No play in any direction should be evident .Grasp both ends of burner tube and check for play.
- Lid latch adjustment-Latches holding lid to base of unit must hold positively and “ snap “ when being secured
- Very minor-AQL:25.0%
- Light scratches (one or more per unit)-Unit must be free of light scratches (one or more) Light scratches are defined as any notable scratches or defect that is evident but would not cause consumers to immediately return the product. Use proper lighting and inspection form several angles. Examples of light scratches will be provided on stainless sheet. Clearly marked with labels.